A book meme stolen from aliashpfanatic
1. Favourite childhood book?
2. What are you reading right now?
Just finished re-reading The Steel Remains by Richard K Morgan. The second book of the series, The Cold Commands, just came out so I'm going to start reading that soon.3. What books do you have on request at the library?
Nothing at the moment. I still haven't gotten a New York library card.
4. Bad book habit?
I always start reading books and then start reading something else and not going back to the others for a few years.
5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?
6. Do you have an e-reader?
I have a Kindle just because I have so many e-books on my computer and my externals, but I'm not a huge fan of it. I can't get used to the lack of a backlit screen and there's something about holding a book in my hands that I can't let go of yet.
7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?
I have a higher rate of finishing a book if I'm only reading one at a time.
8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?
I just have more options of what to read since I'm more aware of what's out there.
9. Least favourite book you read this year (so far?)
I never finished it, but Foucault's Pendulum wasn't as great as I was expecting it to be. Turnskin by Nicole Kimberling wasn't that great either.
10. Favourite book you've read this year?
Just Kids by Patti Smith. I just love her.
11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone?
Not very often. Every time I try I'm just more encouraged to go right back to where I belong.
12. What is your reading comfort zone?
Scifi/Fantasy, Non-fiction, gay fiction are the main ones. There's a few other odds and ends thrown in there as well.
13. Can you read on the bus?
Yep, I can read pretty much anywhere.
14. Favourite place to read?
I don't really have a favorite place. My bed is probably the main place.
15. What is your policy on book lending?
I'm pretty controlling when it comes to my books. People aren't as careful with them as I am and they usually come back dirty and messed up. Also I will never, ever lend out a hardcover book with the dusk jacket. I don't even read books with them on.
16. Do you ever dog-ear books?
Nope. Used to when I was younger though.
17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?
Occasionally did with school books. And I have a study bible from my freshman seminar in college that's got some good comments in it.
18. Not even with text books?
19. What is your favourite language to read in?
Since English is the only language I can read in, I think it'd have to be that one.
20. What makes you love a book?
Combination of characters, writing style, plot. It's helpful if I'm not constantly rewriting things in my head as I'm reading as well.
21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?
Depends on who I'm recommending things to. With my friends it's if there's something I think they'll appreciate about it. With others it's more or less just based on whether I think it's worthwhile or not.
22. Favourite genre?
I read more fantasy than anything else. And most of what I read has to have a gay character as well.
23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did?)
I love non-fiction but I don't read it as often as I should. I had an idea a while back where I would have one fiction and one non-fiction book going at a time. Maybe I should pick that up again.
24. Favourite biography?
The only one I've read recently is Just Kids, which is more of a memoir about her relationship with Robert Maplethorpe. I'm about half way through Christopher Hitchens' as well and I think it'll end up on my favorites list eventually.
25. Have you ever read a self-help book?
26. Favourite cookbook?
My roommate has a copy of the Cake Bible and it's pretty fantastic.
27. Most inspirational book you've read this year (fiction or non-fiction)?
28. Favourite reading snack?
I find it hard to eat while I read so I tend not to do it.
29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience.
Tolkein makes me absolutely crazy. I don't know how people can call that writing style enjoyable. The Hunger Games wasn't so fantastic either.
30. How often do you agree with critics about a book?
Depends on who the critics are.
31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?
I have no opinion on it. If I don't like a book, then I don't like a book.
32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you chose?
Foreign languages and me don't really agree. I'd love to say Latin, but I've had enough of that to last me a lifetime. German might be fun though.
33. Most intimidating book you've ever read?
Nietzsche by far.
34. Most intimidating book you're too nervous to begin?
Most of the great philosophers. It's not so much intimidation but the my lack of patience for them.
35. Favourite Poet?
I don't read much poetry.
36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time?
When I was working there it was anywhere from 2-6
37. How often have you returned books to the library unread?
More times than I can remember.
38. Favourite fictional character?
Oh god....that is a complicated question.
39. Favourite fictional villain?
I'll go with the easy answer and say Voldemort.
40. Books I'm most likely to bring on vacation?
Whatever I'm reading and whatever's next on my list.
41. The longest I've gone without reading.
Months. But with fanfic it's never more than a day or so.
42. Name a book that you could/would not finish.
Uncle Tom's Cabin.
43. What distracts you easily when you're reading?
Either the computer or the cats. And I like to read while listening to records so I usually have to get up to flip it over or change it.
44. Favourite film adaptation of a novel?
It's not an adaptation of a novel, but The History Boys.
45. Most disappointing film adaptation?
Every single Harry Potter movie.
46. The most money I've ever spent in the bookstore at one time?
Over 100 definitely.
47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?
Never. Just the summary on the back or inside the dusk jacket.
48. What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through?
Boredom or if I can't stand the writing style anymore.
49. Do you like to keep your books organized?
Yes. Though it's hard when I always have to many books or not enough space.
50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you've read them?
51. Are there any books you've been avoiding?
52. Name a book that made you angry.
The Edible Woman by Margaret Atwood. I will never read another book by that woman.
53. A book you didn't expect to like but did?
54. A book that you expected to like but didn't?
The Book Thief and The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay.
55. Favourite guilt-free, pleasure reading?